Flying Fox Studio

Just comments about my art, kids, animals and the eccentricity of it all.






Sunday, February 27, 2011

quick trip to St. George

Once again I was privileged to accompany a friend to southern Utah for an art teachers conference.


It is refreshing to spend time with other like-minded people, those interested in visual arts. I love seeing their perspective of teaching children and inspiring young minds.

It is a kick in the pants too, the different ideas and art styles, are a much needed lift to my own work.

In one of the classes taught by Maurice Wiberg, the teachers were able to do some small quick oil paintings, I completed two.


The first one is of a northern Utah farm scene, 5.75x10 inches. The second is a red rock formation from southern Utah, 5.75x8 inches. Both are in oil. The first one took about forty-five minutes and the smaller one was done in about fifteen minutes.
Normally I don't work that fast, most of my work is done in colored pencil which is a very slow medium, it was really fun to loosen up and work quickly.
Funny how both paintings worked out, we left the north in snow and went to the warm south and came back to a great deal more snow than we left, from one end of the state to the other and literally two very different climates, from coats to shirt sleeves and snowy pines to cactus and palms.




1 comment:

  1. I love the one of the red rocks. The sky is so blue-reminds me of when I lived in Arizona.

    ReplyDelete